Sunday, May 03, 2015

japanese planes

Photo by MAFE

A Japanese plane at its simplest is a blade in a block of wood.  The planes above have a second blade (a chip breaker) and a bar to hold the chip breaker.

I'm getting a gradual introduction to Japanese woodworking.  I've had a Japanese saw for some time.  It's lightweight and has a removable handle.

Robert LaPorte of Econest (where I'm taking a class this fall) recommended I visit Yann Giguere of Mokuchi who has a shop in Brooklyn.  I went last week, and hope to return for a more in depth class on setting up and tuning a Japanese Plane (chisels too).  Finding out about how Japanese planes work is initially intimidating.  I have a book that gave me some basic information.

Fortunately I was able to follow up my reading with a visit to a gentleman nearby who showed me that it's not as scary as it all sounds.  I'm warming up to the idea of planing on the pull.

...

I feel like this part of my life is about learning and gathering from various disciplines and identifying what aligns with the un-excavated vision within me.  I don't really have a choice about what I do, if I listen to the voice within.  I like making simple furniture, and I like hand tools.  I'm going to chase Japanese woodworking for a while.  I'm continuing with timber framing.  I'm taking a home building course this summer too.  All are slightly different.  I'm hoping I come away with a perspective that is my own, when I put it all together.

No comments: