Thursday, June 11, 2015

things I'm learning


1.  Don't assume the van is a rectangular box.  It is not!

2.  Things that don't look impressive to others look amazing to me.  Because it was so hard to achieve?  Or because I have a vision and the vision is part of what I'm seeing.

3.  I learn well when working on my own.  If I was doing this alongside a more experienced person I'd just defer to them and ask them for help.  I can ask Adam for input but being in charge of this project myself is the best way for me to learn.

4.  I am ridiculously excited about the lap joints in this kitchen unit.  (See to either side of the top of the lower crate.)  Simpler than a mortise & tenon.  Achieved with a japanese hand saw and a chisel.  Then glued & nailed.

5.  I am discovering that this is really hard, but that I LOVE doing this.  And that no one can tell me how to be the type of woodworker that I am.  I have to uncover my unique identity through much suffering, anxiety, discouragement, self-criticism, followed by euphoric thrilled feeling when my idea FINALLY works!

No comments: