Thursday, June 11, 2015
things I'm learning
1. Don't assume the van is a rectangular box. It is not!
2. Things that don't look impressive to others look amazing to me. Because it was so hard to achieve? Or because I have a vision and the vision is part of what I'm seeing.
3. I learn well when working on my own. If I was doing this alongside a more experienced person I'd just defer to them and ask them for help. I can ask Adam for input but being in charge of this project myself is the best way for me to learn.
4. I am ridiculously excited about the lap joints in this kitchen unit. (See to either side of the top of the lower crate.) Simpler than a mortise & tenon. Achieved with a japanese hand saw and a chisel. Then glued & nailed.
5. I am discovering that this is really hard, but that I LOVE doing this. And that no one can tell me how to be the type of woodworker that I am. I have to uncover my unique identity through much suffering, anxiety, discouragement, self-criticism, followed by euphoric thrilled feeling when my idea FINALLY works!