I finalized the design with my clients. This is a side view of the toy bench.
I found this design in a book on country furniture, and modified it:
After the design process was complete, I purchased the wood.
Here is the wood stacked on the sawhorses I made at Hammerstone School's women's carpentry class. They've come in handy!
Then I transferred my design onto the wood...
...and cut it out using my coping saw. As my arms were burning, I was wishing I'd accepted the free jigsaw I was offered earlier this year! However, there is a nice handmade irregularity to the cuts.
I've got two of these so far:
I'm interested to see how long this project takes. And I'm loving the process!