Sunday, February 08, 2015

do the hardest thing

You know that thing that you're avoiding?  That sort of nags at you because you're not sure you can do it?  You put it off till last, happily washing dishes, checking emails, or sweeping the floor, because your success rate at those tasks is 100%.

I'm starting to see that I'm going to have to start facing my scary hard things first.  The things I don't think I can do aren't as bad as I think.


I finished this table.  Sixteen mortise & tenon joints.  I attached the table top.  Then I mounted the vise.  The vise was the part I'd been dreading.  I had to do it last, once the table was done.  The vise is extremely heavy and I was afraid that somehow it would fall and land on my toe or break something.

Also, drilling holes in the table top was tricky, the bit wandered, I did things in the wrong order.  But  in the end, I didn't mess up my beautiful tabletop.

I followed the directions, bought a special drill bit to drill larger holes, and installed the heavy vise using lag bolts.  It's on.  It wasn't particularly easy but I did it.

What other hardest things am I avoiding?  Well, there's a long list.  I'm going to make a personal challenge to courageously face them, one at a time, until scary things aren't as scary.

Elizabeth Gilbert wrote "Your fears are boring".  This comes to mind as I type this.  I am loaded up with fears, but writing them here makes them seem boring.  You should be turning away, distracted as I ramble on and on about how scary things are.  Good.  I'll stop now.  I'll go do one hard thing.  See you!

No comments: