Saturday, June 23, 2007

alternatives to vinyl siding.

i know it's affordable and easy to maintain, but vinyl siding really doesn't sit well with me. i started to write a little statement to share my reasons, but i need to think more about it. for now, check these out and observe your response to each. the first two types of house covering are quite radical. the last two are options i would seriously consider for myself.

this artist takes his inspiration from cliffs in places like venezuela and malaysia:



crushed aluminum cans of various colors, silver spring, maryland:



something a little less extreme? off the top of my head, i'm thinking of reclaimed barn planks:



then, there's also cob (a mix of clay, sand, straw, water, and earth, similar to adobe) as on this beautiful house:

1 comment:

Beth said...

I like them all but the cans. I think the first would be highly refreshing in the city. So glad you're blogging again!